Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Newest Happenings!

Sawasdee friends,

I have some very exciting news that I can finally announce now that the paperwork is finalized and I have an official start date! But first let's rewind back to February!

So February is Heart Health Month and during my internship on Wear Red Day, everyone across the nation wore red. So did the employees at Verizon! Coach Abigail Ashley sent out a really nice collage of her colleagues wearing red and I noticed at the end of her signature it said "Irving, TX". I reached out to her, told her I really liked her Wear Red Day collage and also told her that Irving was close to home for me since I was completing my internship in Tampa, FL.

She replied back and welcomed me to visit her location whenever I was back home and I looked forward to coming back to Frisco and seeing what a different location had to offer or the differences between wire line and wireless. A few weeks prior to my moving back to Texas, I sent her an email letting her know I'd be coming home soon and asked if the offer to take a tour was still possible! She responded and we set up a time and date to meet.

Ironically and amazingly I stumbled upon a rare time in Verizon where I was lucky enough to not only meet my supervisors' boss, but also the national coach and Abigail's boss as well. Sometimes when you're hired on at Verizon, it is pretty common for 5 years to go by before ever meeting who you report to...so meeting very amazing and leading women in this company was such a great experience for me. They all came to the Tampa location where I was interning at!

On Monday May 5 (Cinco De Mayo) I was running errands and noticed a new personal training business by Plato's Closet off of Stonebrook. I went inside and asked if they were hiring and let them know I had just completed an internship and was in the process of working on my personal training certification. They said they weren't hiring but asked where I did my internship at. Guess how small our world is because the guy who had just opened this business a few months ago was the old Coach at Verizon Hidden Ridge in Irving!!!

I met Abigail on May 6th and had a wonderful tour! I was really thankful for the time she took out of her day to show me around and in the middle of our meeting she told me a coaching position was opening up and that she made a few calls to my supervisors (Mikey and Lauren) and heard some awesome things (THANKS Y'ALL) and would keep me in the loop as far as when the position would be opening up.

I received an email towards the middle of June to come in for an interview where I met the other coordinator,Dwayne, who happens to live in the neighborhood right next to mine! After the interview, he walked me out, and suggested we go on a run sometime since we lived so close. This was great to hear because who would want to go on a run with someone they planned on not hiring!

That following Monday, I got a call from both Abigail and Dwayne and once again Verizon had me jumping up and down excited (the same way I reacted when I received my internship) to be apart of this amazing team and company!

Paperwork took forever but I stayed on top of the contracting company I have been hired through and I can happily say I start July 21st!

I really feel like this opportunity fell into my lap and timing couldn't have been more perfect. I had a lot of people asking me why Verizon didn't hire me, asking if I really did as good of a job as I thought I did, and even making jokes about my work ethic. It took so much to be patient and silent about this for a month but finally I can say my hard work paid off and I plan on keeping my work ethic at 110%.

Mikey sent me a congratulatory text that really made me thankful for the mentors I had this past Spring:
"Very proud of you!! You're awesome Chey! Thank you for killing it everyday here :)"

THANK YOU and LAUREN for giving me a chance and the best guidance ever!

The moral of my story is keep your head up, work hard, practice patience, pray a lot, and don't be afraid to reach out to people even if you don't know them yet. You never know what getting out of your comfort zone and being outgoing can do for you. Take a chance and don't be afraid of what people may perceive. Just be yourself...people appreciate that! 

Also, on a side note, read this book if you just graduated: It's amazing and I love it!

ciao xoxo,
Coach Chey

No comments:

Post a Comment