Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Exercise Your Heart

Sawasdee, beautiful people of the world! 

Isn't it amazing how you hear a message and the little seed that planted itself into your soul takes growth in your life and begins to consume you? 

So that's happening to me! I learn everyday what it means to give. I strive to share parts of me that others can take and grow from. I thirst to learn about people and their goals, needs, desires of the world...and I hope to continue to practice patience with someone who isn't ready to live up to the better version of themselves, that I know they have the potential to be.

I sometimes get nervous about what I share, when I share it, and who I share it with...but then I think of those one or two peoples' lives I could change. How something so small and unnoticed could plant into their souls, take growth in their life, and consume them in the most positive, enlightening and significant way. I'd take my odds to change a smaller range of lives over the odds of annoying an ocean of people and because I learn everyday to live on my own terms, in my own way, and by my own rules...I'm happier than trying to live up to the standards society preaches everyday. 

This affirmation of giving more of yourself to others started this week in church! God knew what he was doing when he started the week out with Sunday, because it can definitely set the week straight:) I may not spend every Sunday in church, but I spend my time striving to think, be, and do like God if he were walking around Earth at this very moment. We talked about Generosity and what it meant to be  generous. 

Well not only does it mean to be more giving but it also reaps health benefits like: 
  • decreases anxiety 
  • enhances well-being
  • decreases inflammation
  • relieves stress
  • decreases blood pressure
  • increases longevity 
"When you're altruistic and touching people in a positive way, lending a helping hand, your oxytocin level goes up - and that relieves your own stress." (Click "health benefits" link for full article) Giving actually benefits YOU more than the person receiving...how cool is that!?

It's only been a day since I heard this message...and it's already finding ways to shed some light in my world.  

I got so lucky today--heard the thunking of my left rear tire as I was just about to turn into my parking garage at work. I kept thinking about how scary it would've been if I had blown out on the highway. I decided to come out after checking emails and teaching class to change it. Everyone was off to their lunch breaks or meetings and although I'm pretty confident and able to change my own tire, having an extra hand always makes the time go by faster. A couple people stopped by but I could feel their sense of urgency to get off campus in time to get back to work so I didn't bother. This gentleman (who had a meeting to go to) saw the slow moving jack and jumped right in to speed up the process. We both worked together to get the tire off and he let me know a nail had gotten a hold of it. After, he headed to his car and drove by to apologize for jumping in to help without asking me first...how crazy is that?! Here this guy is headed off to a meeting, will probably be late now, apologized to me for helping, and had so much patience during the process. Talk about generosity...I sure hope he lives a mighty long time, with lots of oxytocin and endorphins running through his body! 

Just by offering 10-15 minutes out of his day really made a difference in mine and was a great reminder of how it feels when others give to you...reminded me how I hope I make others feel on a day to day basis when I give to them! 

So here are 5 small ways you can make a difference in someone's day:

  1. Compliment someone
  2. Hold the door 
  3. Make eye contact when you say excuse me, thank you, or hello 
  4. Tell someone what they mean to you 
  5. Let a car through when they have their blinker on (this one makes me feel on top of the world)
Go out there, exercise your heart, light up your brain and give to the world. You're one small act away from feeling amazing, adding life to your years, and making a difference :) 

Gracias for reading all this!! 
Ciao xoxo,
Coach Chey


No comments:

Post a Comment