Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

United, we're falling.

Sawasdee strangers, 

I'll eventually stop using this blog site as I'm currently in the works on a personal website but this was just too long to make as a status. This video really rubbed me the wrong way. 


This is what's wrong with society. We teach girls and women that it's their fault they get sexually harassed, raped, attacked yet we forget that teaching boys and men to respect women is equally, if not more important. No one asks to get their ass grabbed while walking by, whistled or honked at while they're going on a run, verbally attacked when they turn down a guy's drink at a bar, pushed up against a wall or forced into any certain acts or taken advantage of...what women asks for that?! Just because they're attractive or wearing something that shows their shoulders, midriff or legs or simply has curves... Its about time we stop shaming women for wearing the wrong things or saying someone "had it coming"... 

And then it made me think about how we're always hearing older people say we need to respect our elders and they're right... It is about respect...and when I hear ADULTS talking like this, putting someone younger down, it pisses me off. You're supposed to be wiser. Wtf are you doing talking down and disrespecting the generation you're responsible for bringing up. Respect goes both ways. Or so I thought. 

Why on earth would you ever tell someone they deserve anything shitty to happen to them? Or wish anything less than ideal or make someone's situation a joke? Or harass and shame them? I grew up with friends or peers who had mothers/fathers/parents who said that I would get pregnant early because my mom had me at 19 and "like mother like daughter" or say that I would never amount to anything because my parents are divorced and I didn't have a curfew and got to do whatever I wanted (which is partially true...my mom had rules; one of which was that if I made straight As I didn't have a curfew & after freshman year it got old quick and I was home well before midnight most weekends). I had ex's moms who didn't want their sons to date me because they said I had daddy issues since my father spent most of my highschool career in Afghanistan, doing very honorable work there. They said I'd be the type of girl who latched on to their son because I couldn't make my own money or just wanted someone to depend on. And as everyone does, I've even had exes or others who knew me very well or barely knew me at all say similar things regarding being a loser, unworthy, and just more unhealthy declarations you should never impose on another human being. And I mean this in the most humble way possible, but I have come so much farther (sometimes even farther than those dearly beloved children they wanted to keep away from me) partially thanks to but despite the many verbal attacks I heard growing up...FROM ADULTS. It's called integrity. I strived to stay honest to myself, my goals and my values and never let anything get to me too skin deep. 

No one ever "deserves" anything or any attack that comes their way regardless of their style, upbringing or personality. This disgusts me. Empower each other. Teach your sons to respect women. And build children and younger people up. We're all a team. United we stand, remember? 

I hope you think about this, especially if you're an older adult, before putting someone down...don't forget who our generation is being raised by...and I hope you think about this, especially if you're the generation I'm talking about...prove 'em wrong...take charge of your life and don't let any obstacle or degrading negative comment stop you from reaching full potential. 

xoxo ciao,
Chey

No comments:

Post a Comment